|Publication||Effective Issue Date|
|Coastal Living||September 2018|
|Cooking Light||September 2018|
|Food & Wine||September 2018|
|Real Simple||September 2018|
|People en Espanol||October 2018|
|Southern Living||November 2018|
|Sports Illustrated for Kids||January 2019|
SpecificationsTIME INC. DIGITAL ADVERTISING STANDARDS
With the arrival of a digital era in the graphic arts industry, a lack of agreeable standards hindered the progress of increasingly efficient methods for the creation and distribution of digital advertising. Thus, in collaboration with various industry groups such as Digital Ad Lab, SWOP and the former DDAP Association, Time Inc. advocated for the development and adherence of standards when creating digital advertising intended for print. It was decided upon that the specifications for PDF/X-1a compliant files would be suitable for all areas of the digital advertising process.
As of January 1, 2004, all ad files submitted to Time Inc. titles must be supplied in PDF/X-1a format.
Time Inc. will no longer accept native application files, such as QuarkXPress, PageMaker, etc. Additionally, TIFF/IT-P1 files are also not accepted.
NOTE: Diagrams are not to scale, also not all sizes are available. Please refer to the mechanical specifications below to see which are available.
|Page||9.125” x 11.125”||9” x 10.875”||7.5” x 10”||8.5” x 10.375”|
|Spread||18.25” x 11.125”||18” x 10.875”||16” x 10”||17.5” x 10.375”|
|1/3 Page Vertical (One Column)||3.25” x 11.125”||3” x 10.875”||2.4375” x 10”||2.5” x 10.375”|
|2/3 Page Vertical (Two Columns)||5.75” x 11.125”||5.5” x 10.875”||5” x 10”||5” x 10.375”|
|1/2 Page Horizontal||9.25” x 5.5625”||9” x 5.3125”||7.5” x 4.8125”||8.5” x4.8125”|
|1/2 Page Island||5.5625” x 8.25”||5.3125” x 8”||4.8125” x 7.5”||4.8125” x 7.5”|
|1/3 Square||5.75” x 5.5625”||5.5” x 5.3125”||5” x 4.8125”||5” x 4.8125”|
Saftey: .25" away from trim edges (.375" from bleed).
- For Full Page Ads, all live content intended to print must be kept at least .25” inside Trim size.
- For Spread Ads, all live content should be kept at least .25” from gutter for each side.
- For safety information on Partial Ads, please refer to the MECHANICAL SPECIFICATIONS chart above.
|Departures Ad Production||TI-PR-DEPARTURESADPROD@timeinc.com|
Please adhere to the guidelines below when preparing files. Ensure that only one ad is included per PDF/X-1a file.File Specification/General Guidelines
- Include/embed all fonts and artwork.
- Min 150 DPI and Max 300 DPI for images and 2400 DPI for line work.
- CMYK or Grayscale only. Convert any Spot colors not intended to print into CMYK.
- All RGB elements must be converted to CMYK. Pantone Elements must be limited to ONLY the spot color that is printing. Otherwise convert to CMYK.
- Apply image trapping as needed.
- Do not nest PDF files in other PDFs, EPS files in other EPSs.
- Do not use illegal characters in file names.
- 4-color black type is not allowed.
- Free fonts or system fonts should not be used. If used, they must be outlined
- Do not apply styles to basic fonts, use the actual font.
- 4-color type should not exceed 300% density.
- To avoid low-res (soft type) or 4-color black type, type should be set in InDesign or Illustrator and not in Photoshop.
- Reverse type should use a dominant color (usually 70% or more) for the shape of the letters and should be trapped when practical and not detrimental to the appearance of the job.
- Color or reverse type and line art should not be less than .007 at the thinnest area. Single color type and line art should not be less than .004 at the thinnest area.
- Ads should be built at 100% trim size.
- Bleed ads, extend bleed to 1/8" beyond trim on all sides.
- Printer marks should be offset .167" when creating PDF-X1a files. Marks are not to touch live image or bleed areas.
Creating PDF/X-1a File
- To create an acceptable PDF/X-1a file, please click Here for a procedure on how to create a PDFx/1a
Files must be submitted via the Ad Portal. Please click on the Ad Portal Guide link above to access step-by-step instructions on how to submit a file.Proofs
This title is presently using Press side Virtual Proofing at its printing plants and is no longer accepting hard proofs from advertisers.Binding
Departures magazine is Perfect Bound.