SpecificationsTIME INC. DIGITAL ADVERTISING STANDARDS
With the arrival of a digital era in the graphic arts industry, a lack of agreeable standards hindered the progress of increasingly efficient methods for the creation and distribution of digital advertising. Thus, in collaboration with various industry groups such as Digital Ad Lab, SWOP and the former DDAP Association, Time Inc. advocated for the development and adherence of standards when creating digital advertising intended for print. It was decided upon that the specifications for PDF/X-1a compliant files would be suitable for all areas of the digital advertising process.
As of January 1, 2004, all ad files submitted to Time Inc. titles must be supplied in PDF/X-1a format.
Time Inc. will no longer accept native application files, such as QuarkXPress, PageMaker, etc. Additionally, TIFF/IT-P1 files are also not accepted.
NOTE: Diagrams are not to scale, also not all sizes are available. Please refer to the mechanical specifications below to see which are available.
|Page||8.125” x 10.75”||[an error occurred while processing this directive]|
|Spread||16” x 10.75”||15.75” x 10.5”|
|1/3 Page Vertical (One Column)||2.875” x 10.75”||2.625” x 10.5”|
|2/3 Page Vertical (Two Columns)||5.25” x 10.75”||5” x 10.5”|
|1/2 Page Horizontal||8.125” x 5.375”||7.875” x 5.125”|
|1/2 Spread Horizontal||16” x 5.375”||15.75” x 5.125”|
Saftey: .25" away from trim edges (.375" from bleed).
|All You Ad Production||TI-PR-ALLYOUADPROD@timeinc.com|
|Issue / Edition||Ad Close|
|Issue / Edition||Ad Close|
The following guidelines should be followed when creating content for print advertising. Ensure that only one ad is included per PDF/X-1a file.Images
- All high-resolution images must be included. Do not embed OPI information in files.
- Images are required to be SWOP TR 005 compliant.
- CMYK or Grayscale only. Convert any Spot colors not intended to print into CMYK.
- Minimum resolution of 200 dpi.
- Screening set at 133 lpi.
- Apply image trapping as needed.
- Do not nest EPS files within other EPS files.
- Save images in TIFF or EPS format, with no ICC profiles embedded.
- Only use Type 1 or TrueType fonts.
- Text containing thin lines, serifs, or small lettering should be restricted to one color.
- Reverse lettering: For CMYK advertisements should be spread with the dominant color used for letter shapes, while subordinate colors are to be spread slightly, to minimize registration issues.
- Surpinting/Overprinting: When type is intended to surprint/overprint, the background should be no heavier than 30% in any color and a total of no more than 90% in all four colors.
Maximum dimensions for file, inclusive of all marks,
color bars and agency information
Single Page: 11” wide x 17” highSpread Page: 22” wide x 17” high
Marks & Positioning
- Include standard Trim, Bleed & Center marks for ALL separations placed .5” outside Trim area.
Include a 6mm CMYK strip (included in
Time Inc. - Advertiser Kit)
with the following values:
5% Cyan 25% Magenta 20% Yellow 100% Black
- File should be Right Reading, Portrait Mode, and sized at 100%, with no rotations applied.
- For Full Page Ads, all live content intended to print must be kept at least .25” inside Trim size.
- For Spread Ads, all live content should be kept at least .25” from gutter for each side.
- For safety information on Partial Ads, please refer to the MECHANICAL SPECIFICATIONS chart above.
Creating PDF/X-1a File
- To create an acceptable PDF/X-1a file, please click on the PDF Guide link above to access specific instructions for your application.
Files must be submitted via the Time Inc. Ad Portal. Please click on the Ad Portal Guide link above to access step-by-step instructions on how to submit a file.Proofs
ALL YOU is presently using Virtual Proofing at its printing plants and is no longer accepting hard proofs from advertisers. Please click on the Virtual Proofing Guide link above to access information on submitting a Virtual Proof compliant file.Paper Stock
Body Stock: 29#
Cover Stock: 60#
ALL YOU magazine is saddle-stitched.Wal-Mart Logo
Any use of the Wal-Mart logo in ad creative requires prior aporoval and provision of the logo by Wal-Mart Marketing. Please contact your Wal-Mart Marketing manager for further details.